Tuesday 3 March 2015

Precedents No.4

For my fourth precedents I came across this architectural structure EKKO.  EKKO is an architectural and sound installation in Denmark. Created by German artist Thilo Frank, visitors are welcomed to explore the wooden structure, observing the sounds of footsteps and voices.


The structure consist of a concrete path and 200 wooden frames forming different angles and sizes creating a swirling tunnel.  I like the way the light captures the structure of this work. The gaps between each wooden frame allow natural light to fall through and create interesting light patterns across the concrete path.  During different times of the time with the sun angle you would be able to capture light flow and different light patterns would I suppose could be quite expectational. This contrast of both shadows and sunlight creates a complementary light and dark contrast. 


Throughout the wooden beams are microphones picking up voices and footsteps and these are all combined and played back through tiny speakers.  This sound aspect of the design has no relevance whatsoever to my own work but is still something I find quite fascinating.  The main structure of the sound tunnel I relate quite closely to a spine and the movement of it.  The way of portraying movement without curves is what I need for my own work as my client didn't want to see much curves and would rather see linear, square, geometric shapes.  The layers of the wooden frames is also something else that gives me ideas for my own tunnel, if I do go ahead with it, and having gaps through it where you can still only get out at either end, still felling almost trapped.  The wood complements the clients aesthetics but the concrete I feel is a little to cold but could be good in the contrasting of a comfortable versus uncomfortable space.  



The inside, outside feeling that this structure shows is also something that I could look at portraying.  My client didn't have a specific place where she played out her ritual so it could be anywhere.  The structure feels calming because of its outside environment and the warming sun feels for a relaxing environment which is what I want my comfortable space to express.  


The dynamic of structure, layers, light, shadows, material and aesthetics can all be pulled from this architectural tunnel.  Initially for my own tunnel I had wanted something similar to this design, except wider wooden frames so there is no gaps between and a dark, enclosed walking/crawling space on the inside.  There are defiantly more options to explore with my tunnel idea to portray the spine and its movement, if this is the path I still want to go down. 

http://cutedecision.com/ekko-architectural-and-sound-installation-in-denmark/

No comments:

Post a Comment