Tuesday 3 March 2015

Precedents No.2

Another precedents for my work is designer Sophia Chang. What Chang has created through Inviva Gallery in Cambridge, Massachusetts's, is a stretchy fabric tunnel.  She stretched huge sheets of lycra around frames to create a network of interior tunnels.


"The softened geometries of this expansive fabric insertion frame both people and their context, while confounding the experience of interior and exterior, wall and room, hiding and revealing places to be found and explored," said Chang.

The soften tunnel is quite the opposite of my original tunnel entrance idea into the house.  My tunnels intention is to be hard, uncomfortable, enclosed, linear and dark whereas Chang's tunnel is comfortable, fun, somewhat spacious, light, rounded and stretchy. Her tunnel concept gives me more insight into how I could portray my own tunnel if I still go ahead with that particular idea.  I like the intricate flow of her tunnel and unknown of where your headed because of the corners and pathways.  



The movement of her design matches much more freely with the movement associated with the spine and its tight enclosed bone structure.  The curves are much more stimulated with the spine rather than linear square geometrics which my client has a preference over.  What draws me to Chang's work is the aesthetics, the tunnel just makes you want to go touch it because of its stretchy material matter.  The non-linear structure is also a drawing appealing factor, the curves around the corners and separations into different tunnels creating more of a maze rather than an ordinary, contemporary tunnel that most people visualise.


The thin, strong, stretchy, white lyric  allows for light to shine through and being able  to see peoples silhouettes through the tunnel structure. Being able to interact with the tunnel and leave your 'foot steps' and push your body against the walls and seeing it from the other side is an interesting concept.  This interaction of almost being stuck as you cannot break through the exterior fabric walls you have to find your way out through the maze.  In association with my brief the being suck is an uncomfortable feeling and the tightness of the bones before they are stretch and clicked is that like of the material of the tunnel you can push through the tightness and stretch it. This link of stretching the spine can be most defiantly represented through stretching fabric like lyric.  Not only this but the colour white I think resembles somewhat quite closely to the colour people associate with bones so this link is also a vital one which I think needs to be incorporated into my own work.



The tunnel is formed as a huge fabric cocoon and this aspect doesn't have to much association with my own brief unless the cocoon is enclosed and restricting and uncomfortable then I don't think it would fit my work and what feeling I'm trying to portray.  I associate material and fabric with softness and comfort when I want a contrast in my house of both comfort and discomfort.  I do think incorporating stretching of the spine through stretchy fabric would be an option to explore in my next development. I like the association of a tunnel and the narrowness of a spine along with its curvature movement so although my client doesn't want anything unlinear I think it would be beneficial to potentially have some curved aspect to the design but not all. 


http://www.dezeen.com/2013/12/22/huge-fabric-cocoon-sophia-chang-extended/

No comments:

Post a Comment