Tuesday 3 March 2015

Precedents No.1



For my first material to inform my work I came across this architectural structure designed by Japanese architect Yuusuke Karasawa.  The house is an intricate path of stairs leading from floor to floor.  Levels and half-levels offset platforms and create a dynamic relationship throughout the home. 

'S-house' Designed by Yuusuke Karasawa, (Saitama, Japan).

I'm drawn to this architectural work because it works back to my brief and shows an aesthetically pleasing and elegant design which I can take many ideas from for further development on my design. I like how open and light the space is with the whites and glass exterior, it gives off a relaxing and peaceful feeling.  I like the complex space Yuusuke has designed its clean colours giving a sense of uneasiness because of its complexities but also comes with a calming my effect. 

Centre datum marked by the intersection of the diagonal planes and stairs. 

The complicated stair arrangement is an interesting concept.  The idea of layers of different floors is something I could included in my own design representing layers of bone and these layers or stairs could also move, (like the stairs in Harry Potter).  The levels create a layering effect relating back to the bone structure of a spine, layers of bone on top of one another. The maze of stairs produce a nature of movement relating to the spine movement when the back is rotated to click it.  

Interior Space


The white and wood flooring ties in nicely with with my brief.  The dominant white relates closely to my brief as bones are ‘white.’ The atmosphere is the release and the relaxation after the spine has been clicked and this home portrays that feeling very well.  The only downside would have to be the discomfort before the spine is clicked isn't so much seen in this home but the confusion between the layers does bring some of this uneasy feeling. 


'S-house at night.

The building at night looks even more stunning, the white reflects the lights and still creates a bright spacious home.  The contrast between light and dark is most defiantly something important to my brief. The darkness creates an uncomfortable feeling especially in a claustrophobic space whereas and spacious, bright, white space is quite the opposite.  This design shows the linear, layered, and aesthetics of my brief but it fails to portray the uneasiness before the daily ritual of the spine clicking takes place. 


http://www.designboom.com/architecture/yuusuke-karasawa-completes-the-layered-the-s-house-in-saitama-japan-10-13-2014/

No comments:

Post a Comment