Tuesday 3 March 2015

Precedents No.3

The Columbia University Medical Building proposed by Diller Scofidio and Renfro Dezeen gives me great ideas for my own work.  


Being a medical building for study, the architects have delivered a proposal raised by the idea of skin peeling off a skeleton.  This layered structured building would complement my own work immensely.  The spine of the body is made of layers and this building represents this idea quite freely.  This particular building is 14 storeys high which would be quite excessive for an everyday home living environment so it wouldn't have to be so tall. The idea of building up is something I think I should explore and I would defiantly like to explore more sketches with this concept.  


The open spacious feeling that this building portrays is one of the feelings I want to have in my own work based on the clients requirements.  The glass exterior over half of the structure would be an interesting concept to explore, half in light, half in darkness, the idea of an uncomfortable versus comfortable which is the feeling before and after the clicking of a tighten spine.  I would like to have a tight, dark space and contrast it with a light, open space.  



I like the wooden aspects to this building also as my client was very much keen on this aesthetic for my work.  The contrast between the white material matter and the wood is complementary.  These two aesthetics work quite well together and could help me with the aesthetics of my own work without over complicating it with lots of colour which the client didn't want anyway.  



I like this proposal for an architectural structure, its quite majestic and helps create ideas for me moving forward with my own work.  Although this scale is much to large for a home it will still be easy enough to grasp ideas from these architects work and help produce something just as majestic on a smaller scale.  

http://www.dezeen.com/2012/07/05/columbia-university-medical-and-graduate-education-building-by-diller-scofidio-renfro/



No comments:

Post a Comment